Sunday, April 05, 2009

Guest House


Today I give you a poem which I now love;


The Guest House


This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
~ Rumi ~
(The Essential Rumi, versions by Coleman Barks)

Question;

How can you greet your new arrivals daily?

What can they teach you?

For more on Rumi click here

It's so weird how the universe works. Another blog I am inspired by is Quite Mind Meditation (see my other blog for link) and after I finished this post yesterday and saved it for publishing today, I looked over at my fave blog updates and lo and behold....QMM had the same poem as a new post!
This poem speaks volumes to me and obviously others. I hope you enjoy it.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day when you say what you want to say.....