Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Accidental

I was recently reminded of one of my favourite authors Maggie O'Farrell.

Woman in a window
reminded me of her with her wonderful words.

So here is a piece of writing I love from Maggie...

" Black hair, plastered upright into spikes with rain, the shoulders of his jacket dark with water. An empty, crumb-studded plate sits on his table. A rucksack, battered and ancient, is propped on the floor next to him. He doesn't look like the kind of person this town usually attracts. He stands out. His clothes aren't right. Too impractical. They're not tweed or Gore-tex or wool. They smack too much of the city. He looks like an urbanite, Stella decides, looks like he's landed here by accident."

Today's question:

Where have you landed by accident?
What gifts has your journey provided you with so far?


More on Maggie O'Farrell

About me:
I can honestly say that I have never landed anywhere by accident. I am too much of a planner.
I sometimes wish (romantically) that I had arrived somewhere quite by accident. The closest I can think of is when I first came to Australia on my own when I was barely 20. A young, naive, unsure girl with big plans and high hopes. I thought I would be fine but I cried when I got off the plane in a strange place with no support whatsoever!
I was all wrong for Australia until I made myself right for anywhere....

3 comments:

  1. Your answer of the young girl landing in Australia was beautiful. I love that you have landed and made yourself a girl who can be anywhere.

    Lovely.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it feels magical Renee. Onto the next chapter for me...x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, how smart is that last line, "I was all wrong for Australia until I made myself right for anywhere...."? Wow!

    I went to university on a wim. I went to Taiwan on a whim, to America, got married, moved back to Canada...all of it, quite accidentally. Life is good. And yet, I do believe in planning. I'm a Gemini, what can I say?

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you say what you want to say.....